Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Blog Assignment # 1

Task #1 - Introduction

Howdy,

My name is Alexandros Kapetanakis and I am a senior finance major expecting to graduate in May of 2015. I was born and raised in Houston Texas, and come from a multi-cultural family of Greek (dad's side) and Peruvian (mom's side) descent with three brothers (one older and two younger). I enjoy playing or watching sports, camping, hiking, hunting, and binge watching TV shows on Netflix in my free time. I am currently interested in pursuing a career in the oil & gas industry and spent the entire summer of 2014 interning for an independent petroleum refining and marketing company named Tesoro which is headquartered in San Antonio. An interesting fact unique about myself is that I played rugby all four years of high school and currently play for the Texas A&M club team. Concerning what I want out of this class, I want to acquire a solid understanding or foundation of real-estate and the market itself so that I can capitalize on real-estate investment opportunities in the near future. Speaking of the future, some things I hope to accomplish in my lifetime are: own my own business, retire before the age of 50, travel to New Zealand, hike the entire John Muir Trail of the Sierra Nevada, and learn how to play the guitar.

Here are some links to my favorite websites:




Above is a picture of myself hiking Angel's Landing this summer at Zion National Park, Utah.

Task #2 - Machu Pichu

In my opinion, I consider the world famous Inca ruins of Machu Pichu to be the most fascinating parcel of real-estate in the world. My mom and her entire side of the family is from Peru and I've had the opportunity to travel to Cuzco and see Machu Pichu myself. The ruins are an amazing feat of architecture themselves, but what I thought made Machu Pichu a really special place was the location and its beautiful surrounding landscape. It is situated on an extremely isolated mountain ridge above the Sacred Valley in the Andes Mountains which is 7,970 ft. above sea level and surrounded by lush rain-forest. It was built by the Inca Empire around the year 1450 as an estate for the Incan Emperor of the time, but wasn't discovered until 1911 by an american explorer due to its isolation. Visiting Machu Pichu was an unreal experience I will never forget, and is what I consider the most fascinating and original parcel of real-estate in the world. If you ever travel to Peru or South America, I highly recommend visiting.




No comments:

Post a Comment